REASONS TO SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PET
- Your female dog, cat or bunny will live a longer, healthier life. Spaying a female cat or dog helps prevent uterine infections, pyometra (pus-filled uterus), mammary and ovarian cancer. Neutering your male dog or cat—the surgical removal of testicles—prevents testicular cancer and enlarged prostate (dogs), if done before six months of age.
- Your spayed female won’t go into heat. We perform spays (removal of ovaries and uterus). Female felines usually go into heat four to five days every three weeks during breeding season. They’ll yowl and urinate more frequently. Unspayed female dogs generally have a bloody discharge for about a week, and can get pregnant for up to another week.
- Your male dog won’t need to roam away from home and will be better behaved. An intact male in search of a mate will do just about anything to get one! That includes digging his way under the fence and making like Houdini to escape from the house. Once he’s free to roam, he risks injury in traffic and fights with other males.
- Altered rabbits make better companions. They are calmer, more loving, less destructive (chewing digging), and less aggressive (biting, circling, growling). They are also easier to litter train.
- Spaying or neutering will NOT make your pet fat. Do not use that old excuse! Lack of exercise and overfeeding from their owners will cause your pet to pack on the extra pounds—not neutering.
- Spaying or neutering is highly cost effective. The cost of your pet’s spay or neuter surgery is a lot less than the cost of having and caring for a litter. It also beats the cost of treatment when your unneutered/unsprayed dog/cat escapes and gets into fights with neighborhood strays.
- Prevents pet overpopulation. Millions of cats and dogs of all ages and breeds are euthanized annually in shelters or suffer on the streets as strays. Doing your part to spay and neuter will help reduce animal overpopulation and suffering.
FACT: In the USA, approximately every 8 seconds a cat or a dog is put to sleep.
Make a difference!